↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > puma cutting out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
boatman

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Alpine White
puma cutting out
Hi there. New to the forum and hope someone can help me out.
We have an on-going problem with our Puma 2.4. Runs OK for a few weeks and then will start misbehaving. Idle gets erratic, cycling up and down. Then drops right down until there is no throttle response and eventually engine cuts out. Usually re-starts immediately and may work OK but more likely will just keep doing the same thing. Following day, it may be OK but then again it may not.
Sometimes get a fault code (104 if I remember correctly) but it doesn't appear relevant to anything.
Its been looked at by someone who has all the diagnostic gear and he went through everything he could think of and it seemed better but still not right.
Anybody got any ideas?
Post #388077 13th Jan 2015 6:48pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

I'd start there if not been changed in the last year or two. Worth doing anyway even if not causing your problems.

The BAS website search function on the left of the page here http://bellautoservices.co.uk
Can be used to identify fault codes if you're generating any. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #388079 13th Jan 2015 6:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Odd erratic running with no relevant fault codes is often indicative of a faulty Volume Control Valve (VCV) on the fuel pump. It costs about Ł100 for a new one, and is a very fast moving part in both LR and Ford dealers.

There's quite a lot about on the forum if you use the search facility.
Post #388083 13th Jan 2015 7:09pm
boatman

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Alpine White
Thanks for that guys. Yes, we have changed the fuel filter. First thing we tried.
The VCV does look like the most likely culprit. I'll change that. Do you need the diagnostics to change it?

Other suggestions I have seen, centre around the immobiliser but this vehicle strangely doesn't have one. Either it was never fitted which is unlikely or its been removed.
Post #388353 14th Jan 2015 11:22am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
you don't need diagnostics to change it, but you do need diagnostics to then tell the ECU to calibrate itself to the new valve (and a few other related bits and bobs). From my reading, it will work without telling the ECU but you won't get any of the benefit of having changed it.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but from what I've read it seems none of the usual DIY diagnostics things (Lynx, Hawkeye, Nanocom) can do the required magic which is quite irritating.
Post #388404 14th Jan 2015 2:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As Cupboard says, you can physically change it without any diagnostics but you do need to recalibrate the valve (ie carry out a fule pump learn cycle) and this requires a diagnostic system.

Nanocom cannot do this, Faultmate can, I am not sure about other systems since those are the two that I use.

The vehicle will run, but not necessariy very well, prior to the pump learn, and will although store a DTC to the effect that the pump hasn't been recalibrated (no MIL, no limp mode though).

It is actually very easy and quick to change (10 mins), but the pump recalibration should be done with the engine thoroughly warm and at normal running temperature.
Post #388422 14th Jan 2015 3:21pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
If it's your vcv has failed causing non starting, fitting a new vcv will allow engine to run and vehicle to be driven, but possibly noisily and not perfectly. As mentioned there are only a couple of bits of kit that can recalibrate the new one.

I am sure your vehicle will have an immobiliser, but it may have been deactivated, but that does not say it's not playing up.

Andy
Post #388436 14th Jan 2015 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1