↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Tractor advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
peterl

1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Tractor advice
I am looking for a 60 to 90 hp 2 wheel drive tractor to run a log splitter and launch my boat. I have been told it would be best to get a tractor with dry rear brakes ( I believe these are in the rear axle).
If this is the case, can anyone advice me what make and model tractors have such brakes or any alternatives I should look at.

Thanks

pete
Post #344272 10th Jul 2014 4:40pm
Grouse

You mean wet rear brakes - they are submersed in the rear axle oil to prevent corrosion, wear and overheating. All the old Fords 80's and 90's era have them 5610 (76hp) 6610 (86hp) 7610 (100 hp) if you can afford it go 4WD they hold their value significantly better and they perform far better - they will go almost anywhere. The only benefits a 2wd has is cost and a better turning circle.
Post #344300 10th Jul 2014 7:26pm
munch90

England 
what log splitter you got or getting hydraulic or screw or processor
Post #344302 10th Jul 2014 7:36pm
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
Definitely wet brakes, they are hydraulic and won't be affected by the water. Dry brakes are like the drum brakes on a car, if water gets in their working efficiency will quickly drop off. These dry brakes also need regular maintenance and adjustment whereas wet brakes are self adjusting and more or less maintenance free.

Hope this helps, I used to be a farmer and started an Agricultural Engineering Apprenticeship back in the Dark Ages when you still got both types of brakes.
Post #344314 10th Jul 2014 8:11pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
It might be a bit overkill for you, but we've recently bought a 2004 McCormick MC100 tractor on the farm for £13500. It's was in pretty good condition - we've had to change some sensors on the rear lift arms and there was some wear on the front axle from having had a loader fitted previously - but nothing serious and it's very good cosmetically for 5500 hours.

It's a 100HP, 4WD tractor with a semi-powershift gearbox with shuttle, 2 speed PTO, air seat, AC... I was rather sceptical at first because McCormick is a budget brand and we've hired one before that was appallingly bad but I've come to really like it. It's not up to the same standards as our bigger Fendts but that's like comparing a Corsa to a FFRR.

Tractors like this with the semi-powershift gearbox and shuttle have wet clutches so it's pretty bomb proof and you're unlikely to burn it out. If you're doing a lot of shunting having the shuttle is really handy, you've got 16 forward and 16 reverse gears and (within reason, unlike a Fendt you can't do a full speed direction change with it) changing direction is just a case of flicking the lever from forwards to backwards. The gears are arranged in to 4 ranges, you need to clutch to change ranges (or use the shuttle lever) but the four gears in a range are completely clutchless, you just flick the switch.

We've got various older Cases, a 785 (70 ish HP 2WD), 844 and 856 (both about 100HP, 4WD) and whilst they're suffering from old tractor problems they're pretty easy to work on. We've got the 856 currently split in half in the workshop for a new clutch and PTO drive shaft but that's all something we can do with some spanners, a set of hammers and the magical jack-on-rails-tractor-splitting tool.

We had another little Case which died over winter from terminal hydraulic pump issues which prompted us to get the McCormick. That had done something like 14000 hours when it died which is quite a lot and it wasn't worth fixing for what it was, but they can be expected to go on longer than that. Generally speaking, a tractor is considered pretty old when it gets past 9-10k hours.

If you have a look at a tractor and have the chance, check what pressure you are getting out of the hydraulics which may show up a problem. The Case in question above developed its symptoms gradually but eventually when it completely packed up we lost steering, brakes, pick up hitch (so getting the mixer off the back was a challenge) and PTO engagement because that's all part of the same system.

Older tractors need servicing every 250 hours, newer ones 500 but I guess you'll be on yearly servicing if you're not using it much. Filters etc are pretty cheap, if you go to kramp.com, find what filters you need and then buy them online, we use inlinefilters.co.uk, you'll save a huge amount compared to your local guys. OTOH, it's worth keeping on the good side of your local dealers for help when things go wrong.

Tractors with loaders on the front tend to have had harder lives. Particularly if they have a dry clutch. If you're thinking about one but aren't sure about its brakes, have a look at www.tractordata.com which will usually say.
Post #344351 10th Jul 2014 9:34pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I used to use an International Harvester 434 to launch boats and to top the fields which it was more than capable of. But that was only 43hp, so wouldn't fit in your specs for the log splitter. So you'll need something a little bit bigger. A Ford 5000 or something like that would probably be up to the job, I think those are about 60 - 65 hp.

Many of the ones mentioned so far are pretty big (in comparison) farm tractors with cabs mainly, so it depends what you are looking for? Something smaller cabless to fit in a garage etc? Also, how big/heavy is your boat, and what is the launch site like? Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #344394 10th Jul 2014 11:39pm
peterl

1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Thanks, wet brakes are what I need. Saying that, the tractor does not really go into the water, it is just in case the surf is up and we need to retrieve. Currently use the 90, but I don't like it anywhere near the water.
The log splitter can run off 50hp so that is not an issue.

Will search the suggested web page and see what has wet brakes and see if I can stretch to a smaller 4 wheel drive one.

Thanks
Post #344473 11th Jul 2014 11:27am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Wasn't McCormick a spin off of Leyland? ISTR that they shared the same bodywork at one point, just sprayed browny instead of blue.
Post #344489 11th Jul 2014 12:26pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
McCormick was a spin off of Case International I think. Case merged with New Holland, then ARGO bought McCormick. Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #344499 11th Jul 2014 1:03pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I don't know, certainly not recently.

In their recent history they started up when Case International and New Holland merged to form CNH in 1999. They had to let the Case factory in Britain go because of something regulatory, might have been an anti monopoly thing? Anyway, Argo (makers of Landini) bought the factory and started making McCormicks to the design of old Cases. Now, McCormick and Landini have a similar relationship as Case do with New Holland - they're basically the same but painted different colours.

When we bought our McCormick we had been quoted something like £9000 for a much older, much smaller 2WD Case 4230 and the McCormick seemed like a much better deal. Sure it was more expensive, but it you got a lot more for the money.
Post #344501 11th Jul 2014 1:09pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
We see some pretty big tractors in Aus,...4WD & 450KW. With the cost of diesel, the cost of fertilizing/sowing/harvesting must be horrendous, but in a good season, it can be very worthwhile. Lack of rain is a major issue in many areas in Aus.
Pickles.
Post #344609 11th Jul 2014 11:03pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Some of the big machines I used to drive were getting through 10gallons of diesel an hour, my last combine that I used to drive had a V8 Merc and was around 400hp, when it was working flat out I'd empty a 120 gallon tank in 8 hours Shocked
Post #344616 11th Jul 2014 11:53pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
I have the ideal tractor for sale. Just what you need Smile

Massey Ferguson 575. 2WD about 65 HP. Wet brakes. As new rear tyres, fronts very good. Very good condition (I spent the winter restoring it a couple of years ago). Starts on the button whatever the weather. Fully reconditioned steering system with zero play, tidy cab. Low hours...

Looking for around £5K

The one on the left.....

Click image to enlarge
Post #344621 12th Jul 2014 12:46am
keith

Scotland 
Spotted today for those Massey Ferguson fans

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #344705 12th Jul 2014 2:20pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I'm surprised no one suggested getting a PTO fitted to your defender, makes far more sense. Or does it? Shocked

After all, defenders are designed to have them fitted Very Happy
Post #344710 12th Jul 2014 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>