↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine Noise following replacement intercooler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Engine Noise following replacement intercooler
Since fitting a new larger intercooler I have noticed a little more diesel rattle on acceleration. Is this just due to ECU changing fuelling with having the larger intercooler? The car is totally standard without remap. I haven’t noticed any performance change with the new intercooler.

Back ground is - So the other weekend on the way home from hill walking the engine management light came on and the defender lost power as I assume it went into limp home mode. The code P0101 came up on the ultra gauge. I pulled over to take a look and spotted the intercooler had split in the usual place down the left hand side. We weren’t far from home so continued home, power came back on restarting. During the weekend I had noticed higher than normal CAT2 temperature showing on the Ultra Gauge on hills. Not as high as when DPF cleaning happens but higher than normal.

Click image to enlarge

I decided I wanted to fit an all metal intercooler and as I use the car everyday I order a Serck intercooler from Paddocks on next day delivery which I then fitted without any problem. The engine management light cleared on starting and I cleared the P0101 without problem. Nothing showing now and all the levels I have showing on Ultra Gauge look normal.

Any thoughts?
Post #778709 24th Jun 2019 8:07am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Acoustics is a funny old thing. It's entirely possible that your all metal intercooler is allowing or magnifying an existing resonance that wasn't noticeable before. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #778721 24th Jun 2019 8:50am
Roverdude

United Arab Emirates 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Tamar Blue
I noticed a very slight change in my engine tone after powerwashing my intercooler. I think it's quite plausible that the new intercooler could affect the acoustics. It's an air filled cavity that vibrates, it will certainly broadcast some noise while the charge air is moved through it.
Post #778730 24th Jun 2019 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1