↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rough and noisy clutch operation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ParabolicSwivel

Rough and noisy clutch operation
Hi all. Had my 'farm-spec' 110 double cab MY2012 for about 3 months and loving the luxury compared to my 1982 Series 3 88". It's soon going in for it's 12k service and I'm going to ask them to look at the clutch but as it's a slightly odd fault (in my own limited experience) I'd like to see if you might be able to point me in the right direction in case the main dealer (Nottingham) is reluctant to sort it and needs some prompting / persuasion.

With the engine off the clutch pedal seems nice & quiet and smooth. But with the engine going and particularly when in motion the pedal feels very rough - not just vibration through the pedal but the pedal movement itself if you get my meaning - like the pedal mechanism is rusted to hell or something. And there is a muffled grinding noise that you can hear when moving the pedal - loud enough to hear over the engine. On tickover there doesn't seem to be any strange noises externally so it doesn't to me seem like it would be the release bearing. Under some circumstances the clutch is very slightly juddery but in normal use it seems absolutely fine drive-wise.

I've read about various common clutch issues with Pumas on here but haven't quite see this set of symptoms, apologies in advance if You've had this question up here before! Any advice, or do I just ask the dealer to investigate & accept what they say?

Also going to ask them to look at noisy wiper mechanism and water in the driver's footwell but all else seems good on the vehicle - I'm chuffed to bits with it actually.
Post #299724 17th Jan 2014 8:48pm
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Pumas are very common for clutch friction plate centre springs braking out of the plate which causes this issue (along with others) when you turn the engine off without the clutch pedal depressed is there a loud rattle/clunk when it comes to a stop? If do time for a new clutch under warranty Thumbs Up
Post #299746 17th Jan 2014 9:33pm
ParabolicSwivel

Sounds simple enough! Will have a listen next time I switch off the engine. Hopefully the dealer will sort it out at service time. Cheers.
Post #299847 18th Jan 2014 10:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1