↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > What are we going to do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
What are we going to do?
I know this sounds daft but I am SO in Love with my new defender, not only am I kicking myself for not having had the as my main car all my life, but I'm getting myself all worked up about what I'm going to do in say 5 years time when I've done 100k miles in it and I want another new one and they don't make them anymore. Aaarrggh!
I want to be able to buy another one next year and moth ball it for me to use then but of course I don't have the money.
Do you think they might continue making them in India and import them to the UK to order?
Can someone on here who is rich buy the tooling and produce them - but in sufficiently low numbers that they don't need to meet these ridiculous euro regulations - like Westfield and Morgan etc?
Post #327417 30th Apr 2014 11:10pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Then in 10 years time when it's a bit tired, you galvanise the chassis, fit a 3.2 tdci engine and give it a full service along with some uprated parts, and you have a car which is better than when it was new! That's my plan anyway...

edited to correct my horrendous spelling & grammar! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.

Last edited by Cheshire110 on 1st May 2014 11:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #327420 30th Apr 2014 11:17pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
What David said!
It's a big Meccano kit, get yer spanners out and fix it!

I have to admit, that my Defender is definitely my favourite car... Has horrible gearbox, leaks, rusts, no space in the back (mines a 90), and has stupid road tax, but I love it... Mr Bas made it better tho!! Very Happy ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #327422 30th Apr 2014 11:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You'd probably be able to build one just from parts, but A. Probably EVEN more expensive and B. For some people building one would either be not possible or take them about ten years due to lack of time.
Of course you'd also have to be very mechanically minded too, I'm not so much an oily bits man Shocked but more into the electrics etc.
Post #327428 30th Apr 2014 11:50pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
You will more than likely be able to buy them in 'Kit' form with lots of different engine/body/transmission options to have assembled yourself. That way you probably get around all the Euro cr4p rules.

At the end of the day, if there is a market for it and the pricing is right someone will find a way of supplying it.

Plus, with all the publicity/speculation/emotions, etc... Going on in this final 2 years of being assembled at Solihull(it's not 'manufactured', only assembled) there is going to be a massive move for people to hold on to them(proven by what is happening with the series 1's & 2's) which in turn is going to create an even bigger 'aftermarket parts & accessories' market which will be needed to keep them going.
Post #327430 1st May 2014 12:18am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Do what the others have said ....it's what many Land Rover types have been doing for decades Wink Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #327453 1st May 2014 7:49am
garethmorgan50

United Kingdom 
Mine was new in 1985..

Click image to enlarge

But, I've tweaked it a bit.. ready for the future!!

Click image to enlarge

Still a few tweaks to go yet though..
Post #327465 1st May 2014 9:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If I can keep the Puma going until it is the same age as my oldest S1 is now (65), I will be 118 years of age and probably not driving any more!

It will actually be intersting to see if the current electronic system-dependent vehicles are as durable long term as the oldies, somehow I doubt that they will be. Will it be possible to repair or replace ECUs, injectors, etc, for a TD5 or TDCi in 50 years time? I rather doubt it, sadly.

Technical progress has take us into the era of highly complex yet unrepairable throw-away products, and I fear that cars are moving the same way.

I bet that there'll be no Toyota Piouses on the road in 50 years either - all the supposedly super-green vehicles will turn out to be less green overall than a Series 1 Land-Rover.

Mind you, it may all be immaterial since Putin may have started WW3 and mankind may have been annihilated long before we find out if our Pumas last 50 years. Big Cry
Post #327470 1st May 2014 9:39am
martinfiattech

England 
I have a perkins prima kicking around some where, Who needs an alarm !!! Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #327493 1st May 2014 10:55am
newhue

Australia 
I fear you may be right blackwolf. Still I'm hoping to put 1 000 000 on my rig before I retire for good, and so to the car. I think aftermarket makers will be around as long as there is a market to sell to. Some parts will be harder than others to source of course. But one can almost buy a new series 1 in parts over half a century from it's conception, so hopefully Defender will have the same following.
Post #327494 1st May 2014 10:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
It'll be like the old Jeep in the US... people still making and building them in all flavours and colours.

I've built the last 4 defenders I've had, from 300Tdi to Td5, built to just my spec.

Ok, they're not "new" and showroom fresh (although I've had 2 brand spankers in the past) but they were just what I wanted.

Hopefully my G wagen should turn out the same too.
Post #327610 1st May 2014 8:12pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
All these suggestions are all very well and good when you are mechanically minded. But fitting the sound deadening material and rear carpets were such a major accomplishment for me. I have never done more than top up the oil, fill cars with fuel check tyre pressures and wash them! Oh actually that's not strictly true - I did replace a wiper blade once after I got the guy in Halfords to come out and do the first one to show me how. Rolling with laughter
Sorry I know most of you will find this lack of mechanical know how really irritating but we all have our talents and this isn't one of mine.
Post #327614 1st May 2014 8:25pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Smiles, there is only one way to learn- get the spanners out and do it!!! It may be easy for me to say as I do it all day every day, but trust me, the only way to learn is to get stuck in Thumbs Up
Post #327622 1st May 2014 8:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just out of curiosity, is LR stopping production due to EU regs? If so that's a good reason to be out of it...
On that subject I cannot make my mind up. In or out.
Post #327625 1st May 2014 9:04pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
True Slim, and maybe when the car is 5 years old, I won't be worried about doing it any damage or harm in the process of tinkering with it like I am at the moment.
Post #327626 1st May 2014 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>