↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Upgrading headlight loom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mynstral

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Upgrading headlight loom
Hi All, I'm looking to fit relays to reduce the load through the switch. Is there a ready made loom out there? I've seen a post from Nov last year where they were available in holland, but is there a uk stockist now?

Regards Myn. Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.
Post #284604 23rd Nov 2013 6:39pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
ARB make a headlight loom (here from Devon4x4 but you'll probably find it cheaper elsewhere). but to be honest, 3 relays, their holders, and some cable, and you've got the job licked anyway.

use one relay to feed both lights on dipped beam, and the other two to feed the main beam.

Use the feed from one of the headlights to trigger the relays.

and the relays thjemselves get the +12v directly from the battery, with a decent sized cable to stop voltage drop.
Post #284650 23rd Nov 2013 8:46pm
munch90

England 
When I done mine I used 4 relays but agree you could use 3 or even 2 as both headlights use less then normal car 12v relay can take .. Normally 30 amp ( both headlight on main beam are about 10-12amps the pair )
Only thing can be the less load on relay the less they tend to arc and stick contacts together
I made up small looms with relays ,relay mounts etc on the bench then just fitted behind each headlight , standard wiring just switches relays and earths relays
Then run heavier wire to relays and out of relays to headlights and heavier earth to each headlight ..

Only reason I used 4x relays was you only have to run heavy positive and earth to each side not wires from one side to other if that makes sense it it means you can make up looms off the car not having to worry about having long lengths of wire to go between each side
Post #284655 23rd Nov 2013 9:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1