↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My New Cairns Blue TD5 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
My New Cairns Blue TD5 90
So, 4 days into Defender ownership and loving it so far, having already completed a couple of jobs (with lots of help from the forum) and ventured onto my first (very tame) green lane.

This is the TD5 before purchase - its a 56 plate TD5 90 station wagon with side windows (no rear seats). Although reasonably high mileage, it has a full service history and seems solid.

We had a full service, MOT (no advisories - hooray), waxoyl, change the cubby for a centre seat, alarm and immobiliser and some side steps so that SWMBO can get in it Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Today's first outing on a "mild" green lane over Houndkirk Moor in the Peak District.....

Click image to enlarge

You can see jobs completed so far include clear lenses, painting the grille and light surrounds (got the paint mixed at Halfords to the Brunel colour) and sourcing some 70mm centres for the fairly obscure Smiths Alloys.

I realise that there is a bit of a "move" towards the retro look, but I think Cairns looks good with the grey and clear lenses.

Next job (again something I wouldn't be doing if it wasn't for the guidance on the forum) is fitting the Land Rover stereo bought from SMB.
Post #274069 15th Oct 2013 7:19pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
SNAP! That is a very picturesque photo, and I have one that, at least with the mediocre colour and resolution of my laptop, looks almost identical to me! (minus the snorkel and the wheelbase) That vehicle however, has now moved on to "appaloosadude". It's not Cairns blue, but in the photo, it looks like it!
And very smart looking 90. And I certainly like those alloys as well Twisted Evil

I happen to agree about the blue with the silver surrounds...

What else have you got planned for it?

Click image to enlarge
 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #274084 15th Oct 2013 8:12pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Thanks - I am lucky to have some great green lane opportunities on my doorstep, and know some of them very well from mountain biking Smile

Next jobs are the radio (original Land Rover with CD and aux in) a great thread on here has given me the confidence to tackle this myself - just waiting for the most expensive plastic fitting ever from my local dealer before it can be fitted.

Not the most practical thing to do, but I'm going to colour code the arches.

I am looking for new tyres, they are currently only 205's - have had some good advice on this, so will probably go for the 235/85/16 All Terrains.

Probably going to get some of the secure bonnet hinges, given all the problems with bonnets going missing, but luckily my Defender is off the road and out of sight at night.

Then take breath, and try one of the pay and play venues near to where I live - I am sure a visit there will create a bigger shopping list Thumbs Up
Post #274094 15th Oct 2013 8:36pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Sounds good. Your list will soon grow. When you have some spare cash, a Discovery 2 Auto Dimming Compass Mirror is a cool little mod! Wink

Yeah the Peaks are incredible, although it's a shame they've resurfaced some of the best lanes, and made them doable in a mere car.

Most people will recommend BFG ATs to you, and they're not wrong Twisted Evil 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #274117 15th Oct 2013 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1