↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > What Did You Do In Your Defender Today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 853 of 1376 <123 ... 852853854 ... 137413751376>
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I decided that as it was a nice day, the last for a while, and with nothing really planned that I would replace the OSF swivel seal. I knew the wheel bearings needed changing as they were a little rumbly a couple of months ago and there's been a strange noise the last week or so at around 30mph where it sounded like there was a label stuck on the tread of the tyre. It was roughly in time with the tyre rotation and was starting to give me grief as I couldn't put my finger on it'
So a nice pleasant afternoon was spent under the 110, all the bolts came undone, I had all the bits I needed even down to a new drive flange as the old one was fairly worn. the splines in the centre of the flange were all with pointed peaks as opposed to a new one where there are flats on the tops.

Click image to enlarge

It even went back together quite well, the only hiccup was when I went to undo the fill plug on the swivel housing and it wouldn't undo. A sharp clout with the Number 1 Fixing Tool on the top of the 3/8" drive extension and all was happy.
The road test has passed without incident and that whooshing noise has gone so it must have been the wheel bearing even though there was no play in the thing at all!
Post #460437 4th Oct 2015 8:16pm
AndyTunn

New Zealand 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Vitesse wrote:
Reasonable weather today. So....... Going to fit a rear wiper delay unit. Smile. Never understand why JLR only wired it for permanent operation

Sounds intriguing! Can you let us know how you get on? (Preferably with photos! Thumbs Up )
Post #460490 4th Oct 2015 9:55pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
An easy one today, remove the door catch and replace with Xeng stainless model to reduce the chance of even more belt tabs being ripped off. Two bolts, "I'll only be 10 minutes dear", took over an hour! Had to elongate the holes that JLR had provided, then the fun began with trying to get the Censored thing set up so the door would close properly. Eventually got it to latch properly, but I've lost the 'thunk' that it used to make, but at least it's working. I might have another go at positioning it again if I feel brave enough Rolling with laughter

Firstly after setting about the holes with a round file

Click image to enlarge

Then the finished article

Click image to enlarge
Post #460513 4th Oct 2015 11:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
JWL wrote:
I decided that as it was a nice day, the last for a while, and with nothing really planned that I would replace the OSF swivel seal. ....

Click image to enlarge

I can't quite make out in the photo how the caliper is supprorted. Please tell me that it isn't hanging on the brake pipe!
Post #460550 5th Oct 2015 10:15am
JWL

Yes there was some support taken by the steel pipe but the most of the weight was taken by a lump underneath the caliper. So it wasn't held up by a zip tie or the like but the full weight of the caliper was not "hanging" on the pipe.
I suppose I could have used the abs sensor cable to tie it up.
Post #460561 5th Oct 2015 10:45am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up I thought there would be.
Post #460616 5th Oct 2015 1:51pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rear Wiper delay unit
Just updated my original post. Managed to wire in a delay unit so that the rear wiper operates on a 5 second off delay. I found that continuous operation was un necessary. Also, it is wired for a future mod so that I can send a signal from the rear wash pump that will operate the wiper for 10 seconds during a wash... I still have that to do as I need to run a wire from the front....
Some pictures for interest. I had to modify the original wiring slightly (but only on the rear door). The pictures show some of the birds nest during that process. The delay unit came from a Rover Sd1 and is made by Pektron. But many other types could be used. It lends itself to be used as the wiring diagrams between the SD1 and Defender are similar. I even retained the SD1 wiring plug and used a new one to match it.

The job took me an hour or two to work out how the Pektron unit worked and how to incorporate it into the Defender wiring. A few changes noted down and then it was just a case of modifying the existing wiring, adding a new bracket to hold the timer (making sure the trim cover had room to accept it!!) and tidying everything up. The practical changes took about 3 hrs including making the support bracket.

I will see how it goes but it is possible to adjust the delay with basic electronic changes. So far so good.
A big improvement over standard. Its not possible to have continuous wipe but I just don't feel it would ever need it.

Thumbs Up

Wiring undone in readiness for the change

Click image to enlarge

[b]Wiring complete with new loom tape.

Click image to enlarge

Timer unit shown fixed to a new fabricated bracket just under the lock motor.

Click image to enlarge
[/b] 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #460693 5th Oct 2015 5:06pm
hily

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Re trimmed seat base. Chassis all power washed ready to give it's annual waxoyl when it drys out
Post #460748 5th Oct 2015 7:44pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
came across a white van man that overshot a bend on a country lane and ended up nose down in dyke!!
needless to say i hooked him up and pulled him out no problem! all done in less than a minute Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #461379 7th Oct 2015 7:55pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Done the 99 relay upgrade. Got it on eBay for £5.55 delivered, so I'm happy with that. As others have said, considering the price and time to fit - less than 10 minutes - it's got to be up there with the best mod's. In case anyone has never taken the clocks out of their TD5 to do it, the picture shows where the screws are located. The four Phillips screws to remove ( 2 either side ) are the one under the dash, and the one to the left at the top of the pic. First I thought that there might have been another,but then I realised it was just the sticky foam stuff that LR use between the colum shroud and the clocks that was holding it in place. For anyone that's not done it, it's a very worthwhile modification.

Click image to enlarge
Post #462040 10th Oct 2015 1:22pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Had a drive up Holme Moss making the most of the V8 before the weather turns for the worst. Sorry if it offends anyone but this girl is no work tool - solely used for pleasure and polishing Very Happy
Post #462307 11th Oct 2015 5:41pm
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I often get very poor reception from the stock radio antenna but really think that a little extreme!
Post #462312 11th Oct 2015 5:55pm
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Double post...
Post #462313 11th Oct 2015 5:55pm
JWL

After answering a fellow members call for help, myself and a few members of my local Land Rover Club went and helped with a Vintage Sports Car Trials over the weekend. We were there to help the odd car that couldn't quite make it to the top of the more arduous sections. We didn't have a lot to do so we could sit back and enjoy the weekend. It really brings it home on how soft modern cars are, nothing newer than 1930 and next to no breakdowns. About 5 cars tugged yesterday, just run out of puff and one today which had an ignition problem after the steepest point.
The main point is that they all carried on under their own steam afterwards!
Just a few pictures of the day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #462316 11th Oct 2015 6:04pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
a few pre-winter jobs done this weekend, prior to hibernation. Unless we get the winter from hell, the defender will remain tucked up in her new home
Post #462337 11th Oct 2015 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 853 of 1376 <123 ... 852853854 ... 137413751376>