↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > What is with dealers that makes me so mad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
What is with dealers that makes me so mad
Without going on a moan - went out to sort some trunking out on the defender and tidy up the wiring from the new clutch.

Only to find 3 of the bolts holding the passenger floor pan are no longer there Evil or Very Mad and you can tell they were by the scuffing from where they were Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad one bolt they have fitted leaving a void to the outside world thats before i wasnt going to moan at all the cable clips broken resulting in the main loom just being loose!

Now i have to waste my time on petty things tuesday - when if they had got the job right 3 times ago they wouldnt be rushing to refit it all as clearly they didnt want to go into week 3 Evil or Very Mad

Its the dealers that give LR a bad name. Mike
Post #14834 31st Aug 2009 12:57pm
Pob

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Rimini Red
Without sounding like an old fart Mr. Green Isn't it like this with most things these days Rolling Eyes I run a business and we now have to phone all suppliers after we have faxed an order to make sure they understand our fax and do what we have said. If you don't the order arrives wrong, or on the wrong date or the wrong size, wrong colour etc etc. I find most people just don't care or have any personal standards. You have to check on everyone. If I could do everything myself in life I would do. For the record I am 41 years old not 91 Wink 110 Hard top
Post #14835 31st Aug 2009 1:10pm
mse

I think your right...but you shouldnt have to - all i expect is the job they say they will do, to be done in they way they say...not leave the floor held together by 3 bolts...or gold plate something

Now its just more hassle Mike
Post #14838 31st Aug 2009 1:20pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I totaly agree with both of you, and I have the same problem with my work force I spend more time checking up on everything than I would have taken doing it myself Evil or Very Mad . But it is the attitude of people today, they can't be bothered so they just do everything to the lowest standard they can get away with - I was suprised that in Germany it is even worse! The country of high standard.

I don't think people also realise that if you do it properly the first time you will only have to do it that once and not again in months to come. That is my rant over and I am 27 not 72btw.

Glyn
Post #14839 31st Aug 2009 1:54pm
mse

All my life ive been told do it right the first time...its easier that way. Mike
Post #14849 31st Aug 2009 4:02pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
As our Chief construction engineer says: "why to make the things easy if you can make it complicate"
Well At least is a consolation to know that this not only happens here at the bottom of the world.

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #14851 31st Aug 2009 4:39pm
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have had similar problems with my dealer so it's not something confined to the UK (nor Land Rover in particular I suspect). For every time I take the vehicle to them to do a warranty repair, it seems to come back with two more problems. Usually poorly replaced trim, or broken plastic bits here and there. The last service I mentioned a new leak that was occurring above the front passenger's door. They replaced the door seal and window channel only to wreck the plastic cover trim on the outside of the channel and wind defelctor lug. They also messed up something inside the door trim so the handle mechanism was rattling, and several of the door clips were undone - one was sitting in the footwell. And that was just this last repair trip. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #14860 31st Aug 2009 11:45pm
Tim_NZ

Australia 
"What is with dealers that makes me so mad"

Because too many of them have less passion for the brand than the owners. Sometimes I feel like Suing Land Rover for defimation of their own brand!!

Tim
Post #14865 1st Sep 2009 9:02am
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
well i've had all the usual Censored with the dealership and on my mid teens visit found out that one of the tech's drives a tomb raider and has all the goodies on it, i've insisted on him since and though i've had to wait longer to get some jobs done (i think other customers are doing the same) jobs are getting done first time stuff is getting spotted that every one isnt seeing and i'm getting some honest answers, such as i've fix'd this but the rattle may still be there. I think well i hope that its land rover policy to have one tech how can actualy do his job, first step find the staff car park! Thumbs Up
Post #14867 1st Sep 2009 9:35am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
double cab happy,
what dealer do you use NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #14868 1st Sep 2009 9:41am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
It's seems the same all over,we had to get LR asssit out the other week, because of wires hanging down underneath the car from previous warranty work,couldn't fault the AA guy very prompt fixed in minutes,asked if I was going to take it into the dealer to have it checked over,why the're the idiots who didn't clip it back out of harns way I answered. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #14870 1st Sep 2009 10:02am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
I think some of the faults are because the technical guy with whom you show your concern's doesn't actually speak to the mechanic to explain what should be done. All he does is order the warranty parts and then the mechanic gets a sumarisedjob card of what to do.

I had mine in for the three chaffed breathers to be replaced. I had fitted a fuel hose in the bush to the gearbox breather and ran it up to the wing top area. I even cable tied a big notice to the pipe saying it was to be returned to me. Mechanic didn't even notice it and sheepsihly had to return the vehicle to the hoist when I asked for my fuel hose back. You would think they would wonder why they had a spare breather hose in the packet ordered and double check. Even the supervisors seem not to check the mechanics work afterwards.

So frustrating that I don't have a choice but to use them Confused Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #14875 1st Sep 2009 11:54am
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
They all seem to be cr*p. To them it is just another job they want to rush through and get rid of. To us it is our pride & joy. My dealer calls to say 'the vehicle is ready' which I now know to mean 'we have not fixed it but come and pick it up' It is only when I get to the garage do they then tell me they could not do the job for some reason or other.

Find a good independent is the best answer. I have used AJS, far cheaper than a main dealer (but still not cheap) you get first class advise, somebody who takes an interest in your car and is happy to show you what has been done. You also speak to the mechanic, not a front of house receptionist.

I have no connection with AJS, but luckily live close by.
Post #14888 1st Sep 2009 3:16pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Just from my experince today, how can we we expect a dealership to get it right when Land Rover themselfs are admin disasters?

Today I had to call out LR Assistance- firstly it took them over 3 hours to call round, then after 5 mins the tech guy went "It needs to go in, you will get a call to organise your hire car". 10 mins later I had the call asking when I could be available to drop the Defender off and pick up the hire car? I said how about in 2 hours and the reply was, no problem but all we have available is a 'Large car' and after a little questioning he says it will be either a Astra or a Focus- Ipointed out that they won't do the job I need my vehicle for- Hence why I bought a Defender. So I said it wasn't good enough and gave LR a call to complain- now it is looking like a freelander some time tomorow- yet another 'road car'.

The Defender is now sounding like a right bag of spanners after another 100 miles today and I realy do belive i has gone from somethng small and easy to something bigger (it is now knocking) and how can a freelander be a substitute for a Defender? Well, I am sure I will find out down Tong this weekend.....Hmmm, I wonder if LR assist will come down to recover me?

Glyn
Post #14892 1st Sep 2009 4:07pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Glyn, you've not had it long have you? 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #14894 1st Sep 2009 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>