↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > discovery 2 roof leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
womble

England 
discovery 2 roof leak
morning all.a friend of mine has a 51 plate disco and it leaks water into the interior,he thinks it is the front sunroof to blame and has blown the drain tubes through with an airline.the water comes down the b pillars and out around the upper seatbelt mount also over the sunvisorand there is evidence of water in the headlining above the drivers door where it comes down to meet the door.has anyone had this problem and managed to fix it?he is considering selling the car if this cannot be sorted out.thanks in advance Off Topic Thud
Post #151607 24th Jun 2012 11:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
I chased this problem on my wife's old DII for ages, which turned out to be two distinct issues. The first was that the front corner of the inner frame where the drain tube connects had broken off and the second was the seal, or lack of, between outer frame and the surface of the roof.

The first is a bit obscure to be honest, but the second is quite common. As a check, cover the join between the roof and frame with duct tape, which will prove that it is a sunroof problem or not. One that's established, then the solution is to strip out the headlining, remove the sunroof and re-seat it on a bed of mastic. None of it's particularly complicated, but removing the headlining is just a bit of a pain as so much has to be removed to do it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #151609 24th Jun 2012 11:43am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
wurzel wrote:
he is considering selling the car if this cannot be sorted out.thanks in advance Off Topic Thud

Thud Is he a man? Or is he a mouse? Tell him not to fret or pass the issue on to some unexpecting punter, it's a common issue and easily sorted! Thumbs Up

Had the same issue on a Disco....best solution is to remove the sunroof totally, clean thoroughly all the crud in the drainage channels and bodywork/roof where it sits, inspect the drainage pipes and replace if necessary and refit using enough Sikaflex 29i marine grade sealant to refloat the Kursk. Blowing through with an airline doesn't prove the drainage pipes have not become detached or have a split in them. My headlining used to get sopping wet. I did both sunroofs, 'one off job' done twice (once on each sunroof). Easy job well worth the time and effort.....

***Great minds and all that!*** Darren obviously had same issues as me and same solution! Remove/clean/refit!*** Pipped me to the post on posting the solution....

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #151610 24th Jun 2012 11:43am
womble

England 
thanks guys,i will pass your advice on.he was thinking of selling because wife keeps on at him and she drives it most of the time.you know how it is!!! Rolling with laughter
Post #151616 24th Jun 2012 1:19pm
K9F

wurzel wrote:
he was thinking of selling because wife keeps on at him and she drives it most of the time.you know how it is!!! Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Mouse then! Rolling with laughter

I don't and am absolutely in no position to offer any sort of marriage guidance at all! Whistle

However here's my pennethworth..... Cool Tell him to print out the solution and present his good lady wife with a mastic gun and a few spanners and tell her to "Get on with it!" Double... no.... treble dare him!

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #151618 24th Jun 2012 1:59pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
My partners Disco 2 has exactly the same problem Exclamation
we had the roof lining removed, repaired the drains and all was well after
reading a lot about this before the event - the common trend was that it was never the seals and always the drains - so start there first and see how you go Wink
there was a great 'how to do it' which I found when I googled 'discovery 2 sunroof leak' Thumbs Up

good luck! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #151687 24th Jun 2012 8:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just about any water getting into the roof of a Disco2 will end up coming out in the places you describe. The most popular leaks on the Disco2 are:-

1) Top edge of the windscreen seal, which results usually in water coming out of the headlining in the vicinity of the rear view mirror.

2) Sunroof drain problems. Tow issues here, the drain tube becoming blocked, which can happen on any age of vehicle and is a relatively easy repair, or the plastic spigots on the sunroof frame to which the tubes attache break off so the tubeis detached altogether. This is becoming a problem as the vehicles age and the plastic deteriorates, and although it is repairable it is not an easy repair.

3) Leaks fom the "Alpine light" windows. These are bonded in an there have been many instances of the them leaking as the vehicle ages. If water is getting in through these seals, it will come out of the front seatbelt upper mountings, without a doubt.

4) Another apparent source of water ingress is in fact condensation. My Disco2 didn't get used two years ago during the snow we had (I was using the Defender) and when I next took it out a staggering amount of water came out from the roof through the seatbelt mounts. It hasn't done it again despite heavy rain and I can only conclude it was condensation cause by standing with snow on the roof.

How to find the leak? The only sure way is to remove the headlining completely and use a hosepipe, which will allow the leak to be found quickly and accurately. Removing theadlining is not difficult, but you will need an assistant and will also need to be very careful not to bend or crease it, since if you do the marks will never go away. It comes out as a single piece and has to be manipulated out through the back door, which is actually narrower than the headlining. However once it is out, finding the leak should be a doddle.
Post #151772 25th Jun 2012 10:28am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f38/discover...99543.html

This is good Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #151794 25th Jun 2012 12:24pm
womble

England 
thanks for tour advice on this one everyone.he had it all to bits the other weekend and sorted it.i think it was the drain pipes broken. Bow down Bow down
Post #159029 31st Jul 2012 11:34pm
K9F

At least that will be his SWMBO off his case and there will be no requirement to sell it on now. Thumbs Up Good news! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #159033 1st Aug 2012 4:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1