↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Transfer box query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Transfer box query
Yesterday I inadvertently nudged the little lever into diff lock and then this morning noticed that the orange light was on so reversed it,and put it back into normal. (Only drove a couple of miles in diff lock)

Then I thought I'd have a little play so I put it into low and went up and down the drive as you do. Had to get the owners manual to go through the 'what you do when the Tbox lever gets stuck' process a couple of times.( Since buying the 110 last August I have never moved this lever from high !) The movement of the lever is very loose and imprecise and the throw seems very short so just a small nudge seems to put it back into high.

Then off the missus goes to the shops and gets stuck about a mile up the road " I've got no gears ! " she cries so I drove up to her in the 107. I then noticed that the Tbox lever had jumped into neutral so I just put it back into high. However this time I noticed the lever moved further and more surely than when I was messing about on the drive earlier. All was well and off she went

Sorry this has all turned out a bit long winded but is this normal ? And if so is there a knack to using the Tbox lever as it seems very wobbly and imprecise -( a bit like one on an old tractor I borrowed recently)
Thanks for your patience if you've got to the end of this post !
Post #139772 17th Apr 2012 11:11am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
absolutely normal i would say,

the teeth have to match and when putting it from one to the other while at standstill this most of the time does not engage fully. Doing it while driving at low speed is harmless if done with some feeling and will engage fully immediately. The trick is to do it when not under acceleration or deceleration to avoids clonk sounds in the driveline.

Best way to me is engage at standstill and drive away without accelerating while keeping pressure on the lever, you'll notice when it jumps in fully.

see it as a good thing, if it would not jump out and you would keep driving non fully engaged you could rip teeth at full torque.

play around with it a bit so you get to know the system and it character, will make you feel more confident and prepared if something happens. System is simple and strong so don't worry too much.

Smile
Post #139777 17th Apr 2012 11:47am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Agree with Tatra - sounds like my T-Box as well...

In 4000 miles I have only used Low a couple of times (only off-roaded twice so far Embarassed ) - and so far I haven't needed difflock because the grip is so good Thumbs Up

The mild winter up here has been the main contributor to difflock not being needed. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #139779 17th Apr 2012 11:52am
rossy

thanks for the tips and reassurance guys although I may never touch that lever again.... too scared now !
Post #139787 17th Apr 2012 12:14pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I always put the clutch pedal down when using the transfer lever. Once shifted and foot off the clutch I give it a final push or pull to make sure all is O.K. before moving off.If it will not shift or engage, put the mainbox into gear and move the Land Rover slightly, then once stopped put the mainbox into neutral and try the transfer lever. Like the lads say, everything has to line up before it will engage. I have found the Puma transfer box very easy to use. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #139789 17th Apr 2012 12:15pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If the TB lever isn't fully engaged it is possible to drive quite a way before it slips out of gear - this is usually accompanied by a bloody great bang if the box is under load. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #139885 17th Apr 2012 6:27pm
rossy

ouch - I was lucky then. Thanks MOG
Post #139904 17th Apr 2012 6:54pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
if you always do it the suggested LR way when stationary or moving it wont pop out.

easiest is stationary

engine running
MGB in any gear.
foot on brake
clutch in
apply pressure to Tbox lever in direction you wish it to go.
Lever will move a distance.
while still applying gentle pressure to lever slowly lift the clutch pedal until either the vehicle tries to pull away (held against foot brake) or the T box lever continues to move further in the initial direction of travel.
at that point push clutch pedal back in
T box range is not changed and will remain in that gear.

alot of people make mistakes trying to do it with the MGB in neutral or with the engine off. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #139931 17th Apr 2012 8:37pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
jst wrote:
if you always do it the suggested LR way when stationary or moving it wont pop out.
<snip>

Yep, that should avoid any potentially embarrassing jumping out of gear. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #140059 18th Apr 2012 10:35am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
The lever should be fairly positive in its action if not then check the linkage for slop also if you remove the centre seat and cover panel you can see a sort of long dome thing on top of the t box held by 6 bolts, inside this is a shaft with a grub screw locating into a dimple if the screw is too loose it will first make for a sloppy lever and two if it falls out you will need a new box. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #140476 20th Apr 2012 6:15am
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Rossy,

When I first bought my def I found the transfer box quite difficult to change into low. It was quite tight - probably the previous owner had not used low. After using it a few times it has loosened up a bit and I deliberately put it into low now and then to keep it used. Agreed with above by lifting the clutch slightly you can feel it engage. I've even taught the wife so she can reverse up to a horse box with more control! Wink 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #140483 20th Apr 2012 7:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1