↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Satnav. Yes or No.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Satnav. Yes or No.
Never had a Satnav as the wife always does the honours when we go out.Had been thinking of maybe getting a Satnav. Have heard good and bad things concerning Satnavs. Below are the factors that have crossed my mind.
1. I have been told that a Satnav can be a distraction to the eye while driving.
At this stage in the game this is not a problem posed by the wife.
2. A Satnav can be updated or replaced with a newer model.
This is a non runner as far as the wife is concerned.
3. You can turn off the Satnav's voice.
Don't have this option with the wife.
4. A Satnav can make mistakes.
Whereas the wife.....
Considering the above a Satnav looks pretty inviting. Mr. Green 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #135107 28th Mar 2012 5:22pm
affiliate13

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Sumatra Black
^LOL. yes.

I use my phone now, between Google and Orange Map i get blow by blow directions and both are free.
Some of my friends use Co-Pilot, which is a few quid with more features.
I like the phone sat nav, as i take it everywhere and it will always easily get updates at no charge.
If you have a model with a bigger screen like some of the new Android Samsungs or HTCs then a nice cradle means you can view it easily and most support voice commands in some way or another.
The new Nokia's use their updated mapping system which looks good, but i've not used it.

I used to have a little Garmin thing but it was bulky, needed updating and was frankly not great.
whilst modern ones are much more advanced i really like having the phone do it all for convenience like being able to take it with you when you leave the vehicle.

Just a thought... Smile
Post #135113 28th Mar 2012 5:38pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Don't have a phone either Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #135120 28th Mar 2012 6:01pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Well my wife has a satnav and I think it's the worst thing ever, here driving has gone down hill because she got to a point where she couldn't even do routine trips because she would only do what the satnav told her a never look at road signs or land marks to know when to turn, and if she missed what it said just straight away ask me after the signs had passed!

Saying that if like you say you want to use it in silence it is good as a back up aid if your going somewhere you don't know but still need your wits about you so you don't drive into a river!

The only good and bad thing is they tell you how long it's gonna take to get to you destination! But you always have that thing in the back of your mind saying 'with a little help from your right foot you can beet that' Whistle

She has a Tom Tom which can be updated online and had a traffic bit with it to give you some more upto date ish info, You can also shut it up. One other thing you should look at is how dark it can go for when driving at night because some can be quite bright in the night time setting causing a big distraction at night Thumbs Up

HTH Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #135121 28th Mar 2012 6:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
You can buy my Tom Tom if you want, never had a sat nav before, bought it a year ago, bloody useless, used twice, been in the cubby box ever since, it's for people that can't read a map. They say if you have one don't rely on it, always have a map as back up Shocked Rolling with laughter Another useless gadget Rolling Eyes Waste of £100!
Post #135125 28th Mar 2012 6:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Tom tom don't like those Rolling Eyes Not very accurate and mapping looks cheap. I have a Garmin 1300T Never had a problem and works great for loner trips cost £160 though and I do need to buy a lifetime map update but worth it's weight in gold imo. Thumbs Up
Post #135133 28th Mar 2012 6:30pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
well if you have survived this long without one, why bother ?

Buy yourself a nice tablet or iPad and some nice ordinance survey maps and see everything but make your own mind up where to go ... or even just buy maps Thumbs Up
Post #135136 28th Mar 2012 6:33pm
Romadog

I've got a Navman. I was given it by colleagues when I left a job back in 2008. They knew I preferred maps, but thought it would help in my present job. It has been useful as BigRuss says as a back up and time / distance to go device. I have never updated it, though now if I could I would. As far as TomToms, my girlfriend has one and it is very awkward to use, not logical, like my Navman,which has a good nighttime look aswell.
Post #135146 28th Mar 2012 6:45pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
konabikes11 wrote:
Tom tom don't like those Rolling Eyes Not very accurate and mapping looks cheap. I have a Garmin 1300T Never had a problem and works great for loner trips cost £160 though and I do need to buy a lifetime map update but worth it's weight in gold imo. Thumbs Up

fully agree. have a Garmin 750 which came standard with my SVX. Paid at the time $100 for lifetime map update, and since then every three months I can install the latest update. The Garmin 750 in the meantime is not the newest anymore, but works a treat, very accurate. And the installation on the dash is very tastefully designed by LR. Only use it when really necessary, most of the time sitting safely tucked away. First class they are Thumbs Up You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #135151 28th Mar 2012 6:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
We've had a Tom Tom for years and find it excellent. My wife does a lot of driving all over the country and it's great for finding obscure places in unfamiliar territory. The best use ever was flying to the States, collecting a hire car in the middle of the night and using it to take us straight to the house we'd rented.

Like all of these things though, they are just a tool and aren't fool-proof, as evidenced by the muppets that drive into rivers or similar. Don't be put off by the "be a man and use a real map" brigade. Just don't expect it to replace your brain. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #135156 28th Mar 2012 7:07pm
bolampau

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I use Tom Tom software on my iPhone and would not be without it.

However, I always travel with a big map in the car so I can decide the basic route and use the Tom Tom to lead me to the doorstep when I get closer to the destination.
Post #135173 28th Mar 2012 7:48pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I have a Shat-Nav i.e. The Wife!

Dont have a sat-nav personally although I would like one. I have one for work which I find very handy 'sometimes' - but usually for me local knowledge of wins over. As far as going away on a long journey where you are not used to the area I would say a Sat-nav is a very handy bit of kit .... now, who wants to give me an old one they no longer use? Whistle 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #135179 28th Mar 2012 7:56pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I'll swap it for your wife Very Happy
Post #135181 28th Mar 2012 8:02pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Many thanks for the useful comments but on reflection I have decided that it offers no distinct advantages over the system now in use.
Yep, you have guessed it, the wife happened to look over my shoulder while I was reading the replies. Beautiful night for camping out though Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #135192 28th Mar 2012 8:18pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Zag, make sure the sat-nav doesnt work then.. it wouldnt be a fair deal otherwise and my mum would make me swap back! 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #135216 28th Mar 2012 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>