↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Driving in muddy conditions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Well done for not beaching it!

I think the trick to avoiding trouble, is knowing there might be trouble before you get into it (easier said than done!). For me, the potential shame of having to get a new defender towed out of a field is enough to encourage me to air on the side of caution and use all the gizmos LR have to offer before I try and pull away! Worst case - I pull away slowly and the ride height looks a little like overkill.

"Speed and Power" have been proven to be the death of many a good caravan! Trying to gently break the vehicle inertia without breaking the surface is key.

On my experience days, one of the key takeaways was to whack it into Grass/Gravel/Snow whenever things get slippy. Even on road in heavy rain/v.cold temps.

Low Traction Launch helps feather the throttle a bit to get you rolling, but can only be selected when stationary (makes sense). If you're in GGS and stationary, it'll suggest Low Traction Launch.

As the others have suggested, if stationary and thinking there might be difficulties, you might as well pop it into low range too. Gearbox needs to be in 'N'.

Sometimes DSC can kick in and cut power which is not always useful - especially if you've just got moving and hit a skiddy bit (eg, uphill wet grass with a bit of slip) - you don't want to lose any momentum. So turning that off might also help - but this is probably a step beyond what i'd remember in the heat of the moment.

Mud-Ruts is for more serious, deeper stuff - where you will definitely have some or all wheels without traction and you need to find some tractable surface - it's a bit more aggressive. Whereas GGS is for when you should, in theory have all wheels with some traction as long as you're gentle.
Post #1030938 8th Apr 2024 11:37am
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
I agree with the person that says that your Land Rover experience centre and the instructor will go through all of the different modes and how they impact on the throttle, gearbox, TC and E diffs (sorry to hear someone didn't get this experience, its the whole point of JLRE).

Im very lucky and I get to drive a lot of modern vehicles all over the world, on all surfaces in my work and have to say the New Defender traction control is second to none.... in muddy slippery situations (if there is traction to be found, it will find it)

Tires and pressures have the biggest impact.... @steve_overland on Insta.
110 expedition vehicle with pop roof
Post #1030952 8th Apr 2024 1:26pm
J77

Scotland 
I was at the Destination Defender event last year and done it in a coil sprung 90 with no off road packs, something LRE centres don’t have. It was like a little mountain goat, went everywhere the air sprung 110/90s went albeit with a bit more driver involvement required to pick slightly different angles. For my spec of 90 though I found that event more informative. Definitely worth using your voucher, though now it’s just an email inviting you to book an experience. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1030965 8th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Soup Dragon

Re tyre performance, reminds me of a post I made a while back - see the grass, mud and ruts part of the spider diagram.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89700.html

It seems different LR Experience venues use different tyres, last time I was at Eastnor, they were running factory fit off-road tyres (Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain) which performed impressively.

My standard Continentals were a bit rubbish on a wet field (temporary car park) last week though didn’t select low range. Was glad to get back on the road without embarrassing myself!
Post #1030980 8th Apr 2024 6:37pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Co1 wrote:
Did you get a landrover experience day when you made you purchase? They usually take you through all the features, and when you drive the course it is done on the latitude tyres and they cope well.

No l didn't get anything like that.
No voucher or email.

The handover at the JLR dealer was outside in the rain, the salesman showed me how to start it and adjust the seat and that was it really.

l've still not had the paperwork for the sale. l've asked a few times and it's been promised but never arrived.
lt's now 16 months since l bought it.
Post #1030984 8th Apr 2024 7:26pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
Having purchased mine in January I too have not had a voucher or email for the experience day which is disappointing but guessing par for the course (I did mention to dealer before collection).

Have looked at the experience day website I may just contact them to see if they can arrange. Tony

MY24 - 110 D300 HSE in Tasman Blue with White Contrast Roof. Air Suspension, Off-Road Pack, Towing Pack, Three-zone Climate Control, HUD, Cold Climate Pack, Classic Mud-Flaps, Fixed Side Steps, Wheel Arch Protection, Rear Recovery Eyes. Plus a few extras to keep the Cocker Spaniel safe & happy.
Post #1030987 8th Apr 2024 8:06pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You don’t need the voucher, just phone up the LR experience centre and give them the registration.

It’s a good day out, the guys at the Scotland one were very good.
Post #1030988 8th Apr 2024 8:11pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I regularly pull a water bowser across some very boggy paddocks. Low range is your friend, I do have off road tyres which help. Having used other defenders with the OEM road tyres they struggled even when it was just a heavy dew. One thing I noticed, the L460 was better at the task on road tyres than the 110 on road tyres, I was very surprised as expected performance to be identical given the TR system is the same. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1031039 9th Apr 2024 8:07am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Soup Dragon wrote:

It seems different LR Experience venues use different tyres, last time I was at Eastnor, they were running factory fit off-road tyres (Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain) which performed impressively.

When I was there all vehicles has standard tyres on, but a mix and match of the different standard offerings...

I was surprised at how little tuition there was. With the only instruction over the radio to put it in Low and Mud & Ruts. And no explanation on why.

It was very very wet everywhere. Although the tracks at Eastnor are purpose built with a hardcore base, they have lots of traction for the most part, hence normal road tyres are generally fine. I've competed at ALRC National trials events at Eastnor and the ground is very very different when you leave the tracks and you'd require proper aggressive mud terrains.

That said, there were 2 muddy sections. One in a woods area with a puddle. One car got stuck, they were on road biased tyres and seemed afraid of the traction control. After a while they did drive it out. But no real explanation as to why they needed to change how they were driving. It was slippery in the woods and in Mud & Ruts on the road tyres the ESC kept kicking in making the throttle pedal pulse or feel dead with the engine revs dropping, not nice at all to drive. So I personally switched to Sand mode to allow more wheelspin. I believe turning the ESC/DSC off would have helped, but at the time I was unaware that it didn't turn itself off. In my Suzuki Jimny when you select Low Range it automatically turns the DSC off.

The 2nd muddy bit was a steep hill down out of the wooded area, designed to show case the HDC. Most of the cars in our group had the optional AT tyres and they worked better. The road tyres on the vehicle I was in had no grip at all and the HDC didn't know what to do, with the vehicle taboggoning down the hill. The lead instructor walked over and said I went too fast (I didn't, I'm a seasoned off roader). And to reinforce my point the instructor at the rear of the group behind me was in a Disco 5 on road tyres and promptly did exactly the same thing I did Rolling with laughter

It was a fun day out thought and yes I'd recommend people attending. Although you do need to note that it is largely a marketing and show case event and trail, designed to generally flatter the models they sell, rather than push them to the limits and beyond.

Maybe there are different types of Experence day where they show you more of the systems use??

BTW - this is what the terrain at Eastnor looks like if you get off of the Experience Centres purpose made tracks Thumbs Up

Post #1031049 9th Apr 2024 9:53am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l got in touch with the dealer today and apparently l am indeed entitled to a free Land Rover Experience day.
l just need to call the centre with my registration number, as suggested above.

l'll call them tomorrow and report back on what they say.
Post #1031128 9th Apr 2024 11:53pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
The offer for new car buyers is a half day. I upgraded to the full day and wife and I had plenty driving time. It was a really good day and we learnt a lot. It was a bit dry being a hot August day following a dry spell but for first timers it was good. Having done this one we booked a March full day doing the advanced course. This was a big step up in challenges and a real eye opener. Our instructors were great, there was no 'marketing', it was all about learning the capabilities of the vehicle and how to use them.

We were at Eastnoor where there are 65 miles of tracks of all types plus the artificial obstacles. We were blown away at the things this vehicle can do and also the lean angles it can get to!

Highly recommended and good fun too.
Post #1031138 10th Apr 2024 7:17am
XplusYplusZ

I also did the upgrade for a full-day at the Scottish centre. Once you've done the basic obstacle course, they take you out onto some proper trails and you start to really see what the thing can do - on ice, up a severe incline on football sized boulders...it's obscene how capable the vehicle is.

We also learnt some great tips - like using the the door mirrors as a guide to judge if you'll hit an obstacle on full lock. (line up the tree with the door mirror, whack it on full lock, your rear quarter won't hit it - even when it's only a foot or two from the door).

Hands down a great way to spend £300. And you can sling in 2-3 drivers to share the fun.
Post #1031144 10th Apr 2024 9:24am
zilch

Australia 
Luxury!!!!! dream of LR experience in Oz. LRE got shelved due to Covid and it has not really been
revived Sad even though LR advertised it when we ordered our new Defenders back in 2019..

That said I will be in the UK for a few weeks in July/August, I wonder if it is possible to book a session
at Eastnor if I quote my VIN ? or more than likely i will have to get my credit card out yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1031231 11th Apr 2024 2:24am
Soup Dragon

Worth a try I suppose, here is their email address:

eastnor@landroverexperience.com

However I suspect you need to purchase your Defender in the U.K. to be eligible for attending a U.K. experience event. If they say no, you could always escalate to JLR customer services and see if they will treat as a goodwill gesture. Not that I’ve had much goodwill from them in the past!
Post #1031252 11th Apr 2024 9:48am
zilch

Australia 
went with the path of least resistance and booked a half day in July at my expense at Eastnor ..
Hopefully there will be some mud still around to try out a Defender in July yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1031314 12th Apr 2024 1:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>