↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 P525 Area (L663) > Defender Octa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Bigange67 wrote:
Got an invite then filled all the details in then it asks for a £5000.00 deposit called the dealer to ask if this is correct and they don’t know I don’t fancy paying for something I’ve not seen or don’t know the actual price

You need to pay the deposit to get the invite or you won’t be buying one - it is refundable if you don’t like what you see/hear at the launch event Thumbs Up Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.
Post #1033227 29th Apr 2024 10:51am
Japseroony

Mr Fox wrote:
Serious question, have you owned a G-wagon, driven one or even spent time in one?

I didn't see Chris86 say one was better than the other but I do understand the point he is making: positioning the Octa at the price point is going to bring comparisons to a lot of performance SUV money.

The new Defender is a good vehicle but even in standard trim, it lacks the quality feel Mercedes (Magna Steyr) achieve with the G. Simply opening and closing the doors is a different experience: the Defenders are heavy, the Gs are solid and feel like you are closing a bank vault but without the need to have powerlifters arms.

Setting that to one side, I think I am also getting old because I no longer see the point of a performance SUV and that comes from someone who has owned a handful. Each to their own but give me range, go anywhere ability and comfort and I'm happy. High centre of gravity, constantly fighting physics, weight and rapid performance seems paradoxical to me.

Yes, yes and yes and I found and still do fine them to be an awful thing to drive, own and look at!

All vehicles are going to be compared against something regardless but the G-Class is not the benchmark IMHO and never will be Thumbs Up

Having said that I can not agree with your last sentence as surely the things you mention, high centre of gravity, constantly fighting physics, weight etc are all characteristics of a Range (I presume a Range Rover or do you mean a Ford?)? Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #1033238 29th Apr 2024 12:56pm
Griff90bowler

Wales 
all booked in for the 13th should be interesting
Post #1033253 29th Apr 2024 3:12pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I think he means fuel tank 'range' Whistle

I think the Octa looks awesome! It might make no sense but that's why I'd love one. So, thank you to those who will be going to the launch, please do keep us informed Cool Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1033254 29th Apr 2024 3:13pm
Japseroony

Ahh, sorry my bad - thought he was on about a Range Rover lol.

Having said that the current V8 will do over 300 miles on a tank of fuel and a good few more if driven reasonably Thumbs Up Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #1033260 29th Apr 2024 3:46pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Japseroony wrote:

Yes, yes and yes and I found and still do fine them to be an awful thing to drive, own and look at!

All vehicles are going to be compared against something regardless but the G-Class is not the benchmark IMHO and never will be Thumbs Up

Having said that I can not agree with your last sentence as surely the things you mention, high centre of gravity, constantly fighting physics, weight etc are all characteristics of a Range (I presume a Range Rover or do you mean a Ford?)?

A 2019 and newer? If so, genuinely interested to hear how it was an "awful thing to drive (and) own"... looks are personal, so I get that part.

And, if you don't believe the G63 is the benchmark, as Chris seemed to suggest, for the Octa, what do you see it as?

And yes, in that sentence, I was talking about range. On long runs, specifically in Germany and, to a lesser degree, France, I got tired of stopping every 250 miles to refuel.
Post #1033267 29th Apr 2024 4:37pm
Japseroony

Mr Fox, it was a 21 AMG and every time I drove it I got “look at that prick” looks or felt like someone’s pimp and so much so I hated going out in it.

The storage/space was very poor and the harsh ride was awful, not to mention the pi** poor MPG, not that I bought it for that Thumbs Up

All in all, it was a disappointing disaster and one I won’t forget.

As for the benchmark, why is the G-Wagon the benchmark for the best off road vehicle LR have ever made (IMHO) and not the other way around? Suppose if you use it as a Chelsea Tractor then maybe the G-Wagon might have the edge but if you actually venture off road the Defender wins hands down Wink Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #1033272 29th Apr 2024 5:26pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Japseroony wrote:
Mr Fox, it was a 21 AMG and every time I drove it I got “look at that prick” looks or felt like someone’s pimp and so much so I hated going out in it.

The storage/space was very poor and the harsh ride was awful, not to mention the pi** poor MPG, not that I bought it for that Thumbs Up

All in all, it was a disappointing disaster and one I won’t forget.

As for the benchmark, why is the G-Wagon the benchmark for the best off road vehicle LR have ever made (IMHO) and not the other way around? Suppose if you use it as a Chelsea Tractor then maybe the G-Wagon might have the edge but if you actually venture off road the Defender wins hands down Wink

I can't comment on the 21< G63 but my feelings about the pre-19 G63 aren't totally dissimilar to yours. I grew to dislike the image, in no small part thanks to people like the Kardashians, but it was the ride, tank range and overall combination that finally put the nail in it for me. IMHO, the diesel Gs, specifically the 2019+ G350d is a much better vehicle and is not only hugely capable but also fast enough in terms of real world use.

Lastly, my question wasn't about the G-wagon being a benchmark, it was what do you consider the benchmark or competition for the Octa?
Post #1033281 29th Apr 2024 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123