↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > What is normal range for the waste gate modulation %?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
What is normal range for the waste gate modulation %?
Just got myself a Nanocom to assit with diagnosing a few minor issues on my TD5
I had one fault for Ambient pressure as a result of accidentally not pluggin the sensor in, which I've now cleared.
One thing I'm suspicious of is my waste gate, and wanted to see what readings others get form this. It looks like my waste gate modulation % never goes above 40.00% - is this normal?
I seem to be getting boost up to around a bar, but I've definitely got a MAF issue as its reading 4 air flow regardles of revs/load.
The main issue I'm trying to diagnose is that after sitting at around 65mph for a while, It feels like you have to treat the accelerate as if there's an egg under it you don't want to burst. if you put your foot down too much, suddenly I lose power and the car just starts slowing down.
I haven't had a chance to recreate with the nanocom yet as just been pootling around looking at data.
Post #1027302 8th Mar 2024 5:00pm
mturri

2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Quote:
One thing I'm suspicious of is my waste gate, and wanted to see what readings others get form this. It looks like my waste gate modulation % never goes above 40.00% - is this normal?
Perfectly normal, that's about the maximum fraction of exhaust gas flow the system is designed to recirculate.

Quote:
I seem to be getting boost up to around a bar, but I've definitely got a MAF issue as its reading 4 air flow regardles of revs/load.
Toasted MAF.

Quote:
The main issue I'm trying to diagnose is that after sitting at around 65mph for a while, It feels like you have to treat the accelerate as if there's an egg under it you don't want to burst. if you put your foot down too much, suddenly I lose power and the car just starts slowing down.
Wild guess is fuel delivery issue (fuel pump or FPR) but a long shot. Having the luxury of a Nanocom further troubleshooting is possible. Should replace or unplug the MAF for starters (ideally the former). A bad MAF can cause non-responsiveness/hesitation issues.

HTH

Matt 24 yrs of Td5 ownership
D110 Td5 MY06 fully tuned up
ex-D2 Td5 MY04 Auto
ex-D110 Td5 MY00
ex-D2 Td5 MY00
ex-D2 Td5 MY99
ex-D1 300Tdi MY89
ex-D90 200Tdi MY87
Post #1027616 11th Mar 2024 3:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Waste gate modulator is not EGR. It is to control turbo pressure. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1027688 11th Mar 2024 9:03pm
balmybaldwin

EGR long gone Thumbs Up
Post #1027716 11th Mar 2024 10:20pm
balmybaldwin

Quote:
Wild guess is fuel delivery issue (fuel pump or FPR) but a long shot. Having the luxury of a Nanocom further troubleshooting is possible. Should replace or unplug the MAF for starters (ideally the former). A bad MAF can cause non-responsiveness/hesitation issues.

HTH

Matt

Thanks will have a look in that direction. Maf sensor is on the way so will see how it goes.

Tried to recreate the issue yesterday, but didn't occur where it usually would (long uphill section near me) will try again when I've swapped the MAF.
Post #1027717 11th Mar 2024 10:23pm
mturri

2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
MadTom wrote:
Waste gate modulator is not EGR. It is to control turbo pressure.
Totally right MadTom, thanks for pointing that out. Clearly stated by OP yet took it in all wrong... must be my advanced age and decaying cognitive abilities...

Aside, Balmy, WGM % is duty cycle in terms of pulse width modulation, not WG opening. 40% is about the maximum you'll see in practice. 24 yrs of Td5 ownership
D110 Td5 MY06 fully tuned up
ex-D2 Td5 MY04 Auto
ex-D110 Td5 MY00
ex-D2 Td5 MY00
ex-D2 Td5 MY99
ex-D1 300Tdi MY89
ex-D90 200Tdi MY87
Post #1027743 12th Mar 2024 7:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
balmybaldwin

Quote:
Aside, Balmy, WGM % is duty cycle in terms of pulse width modulation, not WG opening. 40% is about the maximum you'll see in practice.

Does this mean it's the signal I'm looking at, and not the position? Ie, it could appear normal even if the gate is sticky?

New MAF is in... much improvement in power pick up

Jury still out on the "bubble" under the accelerator as I haven't had a chance to recreate it (I have tried but not in the usual uphill drag where I always notice it)
Post #1028932 21st Mar 2024 11:44pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Waste gate modulator is used only on Discovery 2 TD5, Defender TD5 has just a straight pipe. But software in engine ECUs are nearly the same, so both can control the modulator or at least send out some live data. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1028944 22nd Mar 2024 6:45am
balmybaldwin

So just done a 500 mile run up and down the m1 at times up to 75, and absolutely no sign of the bubble, so I guess it was MAF related Thumbs Up

Even better it rained most of the way and i have no water in the air system at all, so 2 problems cured.

It has however developed a clank which I think is prop shaft related Whistle
Post #1029288 25th Mar 2024 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1