↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > EV not available.... Think I know the answer but...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Are there two versions of the HV Coolant Heater?
Post #1013675 2nd Nov 2023 6:31pm
milesg7

United Kingdom 
My car has gone into the main dealers today to have it looked at, and I have a new 110 XS as a loaner assigned to me for the week.

They suspect EV heater matrix and will check the EV cooler too.
Post #1014406 8th Nov 2023 4:44pm
milesg7

United Kingdom 
Finally have my car back with a new EV Heater Matrix and the car is now working perfectly!
Post #1015585 18th Nov 2023 9:57pm
muidumees

Estonia 
Had the same issue with EV mode not available.
Electric heater was replaced under warranty and problem solved on my 07/2021 P400e.
Post #1022929 29th Jan 2024 5:56pm
swisslad

United Kingdom 
...same here
Same here. Had 'EV temporarily not available' come up, heater matrix replaced under warranty.
Post #1025737 23rd Feb 2024 5:09pm
nrgltd

See my post on adjacent entry for EV and alternator failure together.

On the first EV failure LR assist came out and told me that both had failed. EV matrix failure et cetera. It’s been real fun and games since then with the local dealer and I eventually had to take the car myself up to them. They knew nothing of my call to LR assist but did take the car in to be fixed,

Since then, they replaced the heater matrix and changed the software for the alternator they say. They called me to tell me the car was fixed and I went up and collected it. As soon as I started it up EV would not engage. I took the car straight back and a really grumpy technician came out to have a look. EV did not engage and he was surprised as it had passed the test in the workshop, however they’ve never taken it out on the road, to road test it. I suggested that this might have been a good idea. No answer from technician.
They gave me a loan car and after calling numerous times and visiting, they finally called me to tell me that it was fixed. I got into the car and EV engaged. I drove home and it wouldn’t from then on.
I went back to the dealer for the xth time and having waited as usual for ages, a young lady appeared and asked me what the problem was. I explained the EV problem but she didn’t actually know what EV meant.

Eventually, I managed to get hold of one of the service people that I dealt with before And explain the situation again. We went out to the car and to amazement it engaged EV mode in the car park. They had already explained that they had no loan cars and I would have to go through LR assist again to book the car in. Given that I’m going away in it on Friday this wasn’t really the way I wanted it to happen.

I decided to take the car home and eventually call LR assist again when I was back from being away.

It has to be said that I have had absolutely zero communication through this two weeks of baloney from the dealer. I called numerous times left messages nobody called back. I emailed people I knew the email of and never received a reply. It is a truly terrible dealership from this point of view, I wish I had dealt with the dealership in Perth as they are approachable and very knowledgeable. However, that’s 85 miles away.

I decided to take a look myself at the problems that the P400e Defender had had over time. I eventually found the online users manual - there’s one for every model and they are actually very good.

Inputting EV into the search box. I immediately went to a page which described the system and its limitations. The very first sentence states that in cold weather, unspecified what this is probably below -4°C, the EV system will not engage. It needs to be preconditioned And I did not know this. I also don’t think the dealership knows this as it is a simple explanation. There are loads of other situations whereby the system will not engage including auto stop start being disabled and many more.

I have now been experimenting with the car and it seems to me that the problem is temperature related. The first time this happened, it was -10 outside, and the second time it was -5 C.

I’m therefore going to keep running the car as it is as once I’ve got it warmed up it, but it is annoying that you have to go through this process to get it to work.

I just wonder how many other people on this understand this or know this, and whether any dealer has ever told them that this is reality.

I don’t think I’ll be going back to this particular dealership ever again, especially as John Clark Perth have some good people. Shame it so far away.

Sorry this is so long but I had to get this off my chest.
Post #1025935 25th Feb 2024 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12