↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 200tdi power loss - running out of ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mean Green

Scotland 
200tdi power loss - running out of ideas
As per my previous post "Wastegate lever 'play'", I got some good advice of things to check on my 200tdi which feels seriously down on power.

I have had the intercooler and Turbo pipes pressure/smoke tested and visually checked - No issues.
I fitted a Turbo boost gauge and it seems to be push out about 0.8 Bar, which is where it should be.
All banjo bolts on the injection pump and pipes are in the right way round and are clear of blockages.
I pulled the lift pump off the block and tried it (while still attached to pipework) I could hear fuel bubbling when pumped, so pump seems ok.

What else can I look at? Something is making it go slow... Rolling Eyes Banging Head
Post #1002386 31st Jul 2023 1:14pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
So just as an update - I changed the lift pump to a Delphi one. As soon as the old one came off and was beside the Delphi there was a noticeable difference in the pumps. The new Delphi was generally bigger, the bowl on the top was a little deeper and wider, the pump arm seemed to measure about 2mm longer. I do remember changing the lift pump, but that was a good few years ago (although it has been off the road for about 6 years) - i seem to remember it came in a blue box!!!

As a result the 90 is now much more responsive and was happy sitting at 65 rather than struggling at 55 (I think it would have gone a little more, but there is a bit of play somewhere in the steering which is more pronounced at speed, so didn't want to push it too much).
Post #1003406 8th Aug 2023 10:02pm
L110CDL

England 
Good result you finding the problem Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1003533 9th Aug 2023 9:21pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I was going to suggest the lift pump. Although I didn't notice any power difference, it was pretty flat before the cheap lift pump broke. As you did I fitted a Delphi one after. Glad it's fixed.
Post #1003539 9th Aug 2023 9:46pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
@Mean Green, Might be worth you reading this.....

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic85417-15.html

Changing the lift pump may have been the fix, but possibly not for the reason you think.
Post #1004033 13th Aug 2023 11:05pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Cheers I-L-O-S

I had already seen that post.

I had the 90 out yesterday for the 1st real run since the rebuild - 90 miles to DefenderJam and back. It is now happy to sit at 65ish - not pushed it much more that that at the moment as there is a bit of vibration/play/vagueness in the steering - I think the tracking might be a little out, and the wheels need balanced. Once I get it handling better, I do think there is a bit more power that can be teased out of it - even before any modifications.
Post #1004053 14th Aug 2023 10:31am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
My old 200tdi 90 was stock standard, but well maintained and would regularly do 75-80mph on the flat and more down hill (Have seen 90+ on the speedo but not vouching for the accuracy....).

You definitely need to have the suspension/steering in A1 condition and dialled in correctly. I could drive mine down the 3rd lane at 80+ with just a couple of fingers on the steering and it would track straight at speed and under breaking, even on mud terrain tyres. Whenever other people from the 4x4 car club passengered with me they were always amazed at how calm and controlled it was as they always said they felt like their landrovers were trying to throw them off the road and kill them once they got above 65-70mph Rolling with laughter

And I set my own tracking with an extendible pole.
Post #1004082 14th Aug 2023 2:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1