↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 1st Service - 6,600 miles "oil check" light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
1st Service - 6,600 miles "oil check" light
Hi guys, the "oil check" light popped up on the dash the other day. Car is a MY15 I think I've had it maybe 9 months, done 6,600 miles or so.

I drive a lot of shorter routes as I only live 4 miles from work, so:

1) Is this normal to service the car so early (it's a transit engine)?
2) How much should I be paying?
3) When it goes in, is there anything else I should ask them to check / do?

Thanks!
Post #477868 1st Dec 2015 12:51am
nitram17

May be faulty or you may be getting a warning about oil contamination with fuel especially if you do a lot of short journeys..does it say service or is it the oil light?
Post #477874 1st Dec 2015 3:31am
YOLO110

Australia 
Check your oil level on the dipstick asap! Shocked YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #477907 1st Dec 2015 9:55am
jimz

United Kingdom 
You were lucky to get that many miles! My oil service light came on after 7 months and 2000miles.

Sadly I am in the same boat as you, short journeys, it doesn't get a full regen cycle and the engine works out that there is a higher percentage of diesel in the oil and requires it to be changed.

It is a common issue for those of us that don't drive it much, the advice I was given was to make sure to thrash it at least once a week on a fairly long journey! Enjoy, I know I do!
Post #477933 1st Dec 2015 11:28am
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
I assume by oil light you mean the little oil service message that shows up in the trip meter/odometer display, not the red oil can, low oil pressure light???

1- if the oil service light illuminates and then goes out when you first start the engine then it's the service time telling you that a service is due. The dealer will reset it.

if the oil service is on and has stayed on then it has shown up due to the DPF being interrupted during its active regen cycle too many times, mainly caused by short start stop journeys. Due to the risk of dilution of the engine oil by fuel, an oil change is very strongly recommended.

With regard to you vehicle being only 9 months old, it's not uncommon for vehicles to sit around for ages at gaydon awaiting dispatch to dealers, or to have sat around in dealerships.

As an aside, I was led to believe my own defender was less than six months old when I bought it as a pre regd vehicle in February. I was very surprised when I got the oil service message started flashing up when I started the engine in late April.....

I took it in for warranty work, mentioned the message they looked it up on the computer and told me why....

Turns out my defender had been built in April 2014, not late August 2014 as I had been led to believe, so it's first service was due (hence the message flashing up)

2- around £300 is what a dealer should charge you for a first service. It's what my local main dealer charged me, and have heard of others charging this much too. As to what they will actually charge you is a different matter, have heard of people paying up to £500!!!! : Shocked

I don't know what they would charge for just an oil change?
Ringing around, playing dealers off against each other and haggling is recommended.

3- depends on your vehicle, maybe a good time to get any warranty bits sorted while its in for a service? Thumbs Up
Post #478007 1st Dec 2015 5:04pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
"I assume by oil light you mean the little oil service message that shows up in the trip meter/odometer display, not the red oil can, low oil pressure light??? "

This! It's just the little message by the odometer. I recon due to the short journeys... I had surgury on my arm earlier in the year so didn't drive for a couple months at one point, and live close to work so tend to do shorter journeys.

Land Rover Knutsford recon it may be a fault so have booked it in to check. The oil level is fine - check that myself every 2 weeks. Oil even looks fine too. I'll take it on a longer run tonight and see if that makes a difference. It's booked into Knutsford in a couple weeks as they didn't seem to think there was any rush, or issue, and that it may be a fault.
Post #478032 1st Dec 2015 6:18pm
Eau02467

Scotland 
If you only do short journeys the dpf has to regen more often this can cause diesel to seep past the rings into the sump diluting the oil. It is not a question of oil quantity but rather quality as the diesel thins the oil and reduces its lubrication.

This is not uncommon with the 2.2 if you only do short journeys
Post #478088 1st Dec 2015 8:19pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
The ECU counts the number of active DPF regeneration cycles and when it estimates that the oil contains 7% diesel it requests an oil service. Shorter journeys mean less passive regeneration and more active regeneration which contaminates the oil. The active regeneration strategy of the Defender is quite aggressive, designed for short journeys without blocking the DPF as happens with other diesel cars. I change the oil in mine at 6,000 miles in-between visiting the local dealer and it's requested an oil service once before reaching 12,000 miles. This way I can leave it for the dealer to service as usual and reset it.

Getting an oil and filter change at 6,000 miles is cheap enough for the peace of mind if you do short journeys.
Post #478145 1st Dec 2015 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1