↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Webasto Block Heater Photos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
jst wrote:
remind me again why you need the one way valve?

when the webastos off it stops flow through the unit
Post #160403 6th Aug 2012 9:35pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
why not just branch the pipe work through the webasto the whole time?

why have that valve in the 1st picture that seems to allow coolant through the webasto or through the valve, assuming it goes one way webasto running and the other way when engine is running? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #160416 6th Aug 2012 10:37pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
the hot water from the heater is directed (pumped) towards the internal radiator then out to the engine and back to the heater. the one way valve (like T1G UP says) allows the flow to bypass the heater when not in use (ie the engine is running).

looking at my picture of the one-way valve, I have a pipe guard being made to hold the 3 pipes correctly so that they don't rub against each other, the problem with routing them underneath is the brake pipes
Post #160418 6th Aug 2012 10:42pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Just to add to that point, if you have the water running through the webasto all the time when it isn't running you will allow the ware to cool before reaching the heater matrix, this reducing the cab heater efficiency and creating a cold and anger wife Whistle Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #160434 7th Aug 2012 6:48am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
One way valve is a good idea but not essential. On mine the coolant runs directly through the webasto - the webasto coolant pump is free spinning and mine has been fine over the past twelve months. There may be some minor heat loss through the extra pipe run but not that I've noticed
Post #160452 7th Aug 2012 9:35am
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hello,
having use for 20 years such kind of equipment on a Range Rover (eberspacher) , I would like to place one on my defender 110 sw 2.2.
but the installation is not as easy because lack of space.
the 2.2 engine take so long time to heat, let say 5 km !, it will be good to place one
thanks for this post
Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #160488 7th Aug 2012 1:18pm
dgardel

Italy 
jst wrote:

for do not decrease the internal heat exchanger efficiency when the heater is switched off.

With the Webasto in the "middle" of the pipeline there are same losses (pipes, webasto burner, webasto pump,...) that produce less water flow to the cabin heater = less heat power on cabin heater when the heater is switched off.

STANDARD INSTALLATION

Click image to enlarge

REFINED INSTALLATION

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #160503 7th Aug 2012 1:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Phil VM2.5 wrote:
Hello,
having use for 20 years such kind of equipment on a Range Rover (eberspacher) , I would like to place one on my defender 110 sw 2.2.
but the installation is not as easy because lack of space.
the 2.2 engine take so long time to heat, let say 5 km !, it will be good to place one
thanks for this post
Philippe

see my photos for install it closer to the gearbox......

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #160505 7th Aug 2012 2:10pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
hi,
thanks for the quick answer ...
must be one solution
Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #160508 7th Aug 2012 2:26pm
bpman

To add to your choice, webasto have also brought out a new heater called the Thermotop EVO, this is similar to the Thermotop C, not exactly sure of the heat output, but the unit is smaller and may be a better fit in a defender. I know the Swiss fitting kit I bought mentions the EVO.

The pipes on the EVO are both in the same place, which should make fitting easier.

Daniele (dgardel) kit is from Entreq
My kit was direct from Webasto Switzerland

If you do fit an EVO, please publish the photos !

Update: Having studied Daniele's photos, I re-routed the air-con pipe and re-tested, seems to be a better fit now and still away from the brake pipes.
Post #160525 7th Aug 2012 3:29pm
bpman

tidied my pipes up a bit ..

Click image to enlarge
Post #160733 8th Aug 2012 11:16am
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Hi I may be having a silly moment but I do not quite understand the one way valve issue.
In the second picture below - when the webasto is working - what stops the hot coolant from the engine simply by passing the webasto and going straight to the heater matrix ? -as it would when the webasto is not working ?
Is it simply the small webasto pump that increases flow and draws water into the webasto and not through the one way valve ?

dgardel wrote:
jst wrote:

for do not decrease the internal heat exchanger efficiency when the heater is switched off.

With the Webasto in the "middle" of the pipeline there are same losses (pipes, webasto burner, webasto pump,...) that produce less water flow to the cabin heater = less heat power on cabin heater when the heater is switched off.

STANDARD INSTALLATION

Click image to enlarge

REFINED INSTALLATION

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #160809 8th Aug 2012 7:33pm
dgardel

Italy 
boode wrote:
Hi I may be having a silly moment but I do not quite understand the one way valve issue.
In the second picture below - when the webasto is working - what stops the hot coolant from the engine simply by passing the webasto and going straight to the heater matrix ? -as it would when the webasto is not working ?
Is it simply the small webasto pump that increases flow and draws water into the webasto and not through the one way valve ?

Click image to enlarge

=========================================================

FIRST SCENARIO ENGINE COLD
ENGINE OFF - WEBASTO ON (Webasto pump ON)

The ONLY working pump is the Webasto pump.

The Webasto pump such the water from the engine and, pull the heated water to the cabin heater. Because at the right of the valve 2 the pressure is higher than at the left, there is not water that came back. After the cabin heater the heated water came back to the engine block by the lower pipeline.

In this scenario there is no difference between the efficiency of the two solutions.

SECOND SCENARIO ENGINE WARM
ENGINE ON - WEBASTO OFF (Webasto pump OFF)

The ONLY working pump is the engine pump.

In this case the engine pump push the water through the cabin heater:
1. with the standard solution the 100% of the warm water to reach the cabin heater must pass through the Webasto, but the webasto pump is OFF so you have losses (pump, pipelines) that means less flow through the cabin heater.

2. with the NON RETURN VALVE the water go directly to the cabin heater by the shortest path without losses = without decrease the water flow = decrease the cabin heater power

THIRD SCENARIO ENGINE COLD
ENGINE ON - WEBASTO ON (Webasto pump ON)

Both the engine and webasto pumps are ON. in this case the Webasto is a sort of adjuvant for reduce the coolant (and cabin) warm up time.

I hope I was clear in my explanation

IID Pro MV License
Post #160851 8th Aug 2012 10:01pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Thumbs Up Thanks
Post #160886 9th Aug 2012 7:58am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
BPMan,

I have one thing that bothers me with this type of install.
Correct me if I am wrong and i am not trying to trash on your install, which is superb btw. Bow down Bow down So this is my personal opinion just as info for people considering installing a webasto.

When putting my webasto in my discovery a couple of years back there were 2 possible ways of doing it. The first one as you have done, which puts the heating output towards pre-heating the cabin.

Most cars are done that way. But i found that at outside temps of -10 the cabin will take so much heat that the engine barely heats up. My 3.0 liter MB takes 1.5 hours to get to 40° water temp while the cabin is defrosted within 20 minutes.

This might be the solution you are looking for,and that's 100% OK
It will also work perfectly in mild climates, but as you are planning for real cold I want to put in my experiences

So.. (here we go)

An airtop will heat the cabin faster and more efficient, while also not pre-heating the engine.

My point is that I rather heat up (and protect) the engine first before the cabin. (surely at a 1000+ installation cost of such a system)

You will also notice that once you start the car you will momentary cool down the interior while the engine heats up and thermostat opens.

That’s another problem i experienced here as the engine would cool down from 40° and never reach normal operating temps when starting driving, the cooling capacity of the engine outperformed the webasto heater and eventually also the cabin started cooling down.

I installed the webasto parallel to the heater matrix (so from pt2 vertical down to the return line).

This had as effect that the engine was heated up much more and faster, normal operating temps after 30min. The cabin took longer to heat up, only a couple of degrees difference. (as there is no active pump, so heat moves just by thermal action) But once you started the engine the heater was working as normally immediately. And the engine was able to keep normal operating temps when driving off.

I found that this was a better protection for my engine, as the engine block would not cool down again. And even gave better cabin conditions although you don’t step into a 30° cabin when driving off.

Simply said I think the difference is Cabin Heater or Engine Heater. Where today a typical installation is towards cabin comfort rather than engine protection. Nothing wrong with that.

As info, I have an airtop installed for winter cabin pleasure and will put a defa kit (electrical engine heater) as I am most of the time starting from places which have 220 available and the cost is 1/4th of another webasto installation.

Hope i didn't offend anyone.

Smile
Post #160914 9th Aug 2012 10:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>